Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Window Seats

I am excited, make that super excited, to announce we are ...

going to build a window seat.  Haha, gotcha right?? :) I just have to say that I am more than excited about this.  I have wanted a window seat since well like... forever.  When I was little I would pull up my little bench and sit by the window to read.  Needless to say, that got uncomfy rather quickly.  I always thought when we'd look for a house, I'd search for one with a window seat.  And then our house literally fell into our laps and we couldn't pass it up.  But sadly, there was no window seat.  So just a couple weeks ago Colby and I happened to be talking about our dining room.  It has seemed like the wall with the window REALLY needed some love and we got to talking about building a bench below it.  I was perfectly fine with that idea, but then Colby's imaginative thoughts kept going.  He suggested building shelves on either side so we could turn the bench into a real window seat.  And I took that idea and came up with the thought that the shelves should go all the way to the ceiling and look somewhat built in.  We became really enthused by these ideas and started doing some dreaming.  We're not sure exactly when we are going to start this project but hopefully by the fall we will have a new shelving unit/window seat in our dining room.  I will keep you posted. :)
In the meantime, here are some pictures that I am drawing inspiration from...

I love, love, love all the pillows on this seat...
I would want to dive right in and start reading!  Design by Erinn Valencich on HGTV




I like the idea of storage in the side with the first picture and in the second picture, having a window seat in our dining room would make it a lot easier just to pull the table up to the window seat and voila! Instant extra seating!




I love the idea of putting sconces on the wall next to it to provide some extra light...
This blog has some really pretty pictures of window seats too




Eventually these two ideas are what we're aiming for and like the best...
Love the look and a how-to guide   
I think I would add more shelving on the sides and just have cabinet doors on the bottom.




Annnndddd drumroll.... This is most likely what ours will look like (minus being built up to the ceiling)...
Loved this look with the right amount of shelving space on the side and cabinets below. Great idea 



We've loved dreaming, now it's onto specifically designing to meet our needs and some pricing!
Keep you updated! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment