Thursday, July 14, 2011

Saying Goodbye to Harry Potter

Tonight marks the ending of something that began over a decade ago when my mamaw had ordered this new book about a boy named Harry Potter originally for my brother but gave it to me after seeing it was a chapter book.  That day my love for the books and eventually the movies sparked and it is bittersweet to know that tonight the last movie comes out and we all say have to say goodbye to the series.  It doesn't mean it's over, no, but the anticipation will be unparalleled with any other type of franchise.
It may sound silly that I am this excited/sad about a movie, about a book, but for me they were so much more.  The magical world that J.K. Rowling created reaches all different types of people and all different ages.  To me, I owe my love of this series to my mamaw and that holds a special place in my heart.  And there was always another book coming and then another movie coming.  It's surreal to me that said anticipation ends in 7 or so hours.  So tonight, we'll line up for hours, wait in anticipation for the midnight show, get caught up in the magic once again, and say goodbye to one of the most loved fictional characters of my generation.
To make my sad post a little happier, I created some fun items for the midnight show that I thought I'd share.  They aren't anything special, but they were fun to make. :)
First I started with some regular movie size candy boxes (Thank you Dollar Tree for being inexpensive!), some wrapping paper (more on that later), the Harry Potter books, and some imagination.

Then, I thought I had bought silver wrapping paper at the Dollar Tree.  Well, I guess I should have actually read the outside rather than just grab and go.  I ended up buying transparent wrapping paper (very convincing silver all wrapped up!) on accident.  I didn't realize this until I was getting ready to make them, so I improvised and wrapped the boxes in tissue paper instead.
Then I created labels for each box with names of candy from the Harry Potter books.  I made the labels on the computer and added graphics, like the "Honeydukes" label and used the "Harry P" font.  They turned out basic but really cute! :)

 Here are my version of Bertie Botts:   (Mike and Ikes)


Fizzing Whizbees (Sweetarts)



Pepper Imps (Hot Tamales)


 Ice Mice (Rainbow Nerds)


 Licorice Wands (Twizzlers) and Jelly Slugs (Gummi Worms)


I also made Chocoballs (Buncha Crunch) but the silly picture wouldn't upload.

I am excited to hand these out tonight to my family as we wait for the final movie.  You bet I'll be there in my Gryffindor scarf and glasses with some tissues in my pocket...


No comments:

Post a Comment